Have You Tried Coconut Milk?
Are you contemplating adding coconut milk to your diet? Or maybe you’re still in doubt about the benefits of coconut milk. The amazing thing about it is that you can efficiently work it into your diet and would literally enjoy it. Coconut milk is the milky white substance gotten from the flesh of a ripe brown coconut. Although, coconut milk is most times confused with coconut water (liquid inside a coconut). It is essential to know that coconut water is gotten from an unripe coconut with 94% water and fewer nutrients.
Meanwhile, coconut milk has 50% water and more nutrients in it. Coconut milk is indeed rich in saturated fat and calorie, but not to worry. Taking coconut milk in moderation would do so much for your body, skin, and hair. Below are the benefits of coconut milk;
Coconut Milk For the Body
- It helps in improving blood pressure.
- It helps in preventing ulcers. Coconut milk contains anti-bacterial properties that help fight the bacteria causing ulcers.
- It reduces the risk of prostate cancer. Coconut milk is said to have a lot of vitamins and minerals properties among these, is zinc, which helps in replenishing the soft tissues of the prostate gland; therefore, reducing the risk of prostate cancer.
- It controls diabetes. It contains antioxidants that improve the secretion of insulin in the body.
- It aids in body digestion. Coconut milk helps the bowels to perform better.
- It helps with Alzheimer’s disease. Coconut milk contains MCTs (medium-chain triglycerides) that are absorbed in the liver and converted to ketones. These ketones have been said to be an alternative energy source for the brain and are beneficial for people with this disease.
Coconut Milk for the Hair
- It develops hair growth. Coconut milk contains nutrients that promote and boosts hair growth. For application, massage coconut milk into your hair and leave for some minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
- It rejuvenates the hair. Coconut milk is an excellent remedy for hair breakages and dandruff. It helps to soothe and treat the itchiness of the scalp making the hair more durable and glossy. It should be applied on the scalp directly for best results.
- It can be used as a conditioner for the hair. You could opt for coconut milk as a hair conditioner rather than the day to day expensive processed hair conditioners. Its natural properties make the hair thicker and softer thus, giving the hair volume. For a favorable outcome, it should be used as a leave-in conditioner. The good thing about coconut milk is that it can be used on both natural and relaxed hair.
Coconut Milk for the Skin
- It exfoliates the skin. Coconut milk is an excellent way to exfoliate your skin naturally. You can use it as a face scrub by adding it to oatmeal powder, thus, forming a paste. Use it twice a week, preferably in morning and night, to achieve a good result.
- Heals sunburns and inflammatory skin problems. For someone who gets sunburns easily or red patches on your skin well, coconut milk is the best solution as the milk’s fats reduce the pain and swelling from sunburns. Be sure to apply it on the affected area before bed and rinsed off the next morning.
- Prevents and treats acne. Coconut milk has antimicrobial properties, which prevents breakouts and reduces the production of sebum in the body.
- As for makeup remover. Have you tried to clean your make up yet there are still residues of makeup on your face? You need to ditch that expensive makeup remover and use something as natural as coconut milk. Just add olive oil into your coconut milk and rub with a cotton ball on you
- Prevents premature aging. Do you feel you are aging fast? Or are you beginning to see those lines or wrinkles across your face? Coconut milk has vitamin C, E, and copper, which improves the appearance of the skin and maintains the flexibility of the skin. You can make a paste of the coconut milk and mix with about 6 or more peeled almonds, which should be soaked in water and ground to form a smooth paste. This should be used as a face mask for about 15 minutes. It can also be added to your bath water or used as a facial cleanser, thus, giving the skin a radiant young look and glow.
- Treats skin infections. Coconut milk is suitable for both oily and dry skins and can be used to treat skin infections like eczema or skin discolorations. Apply coconut milk with a cotton ball on the affected part.
Effects of Coconut Milk to The Body System
Let us not forget coconut milk has its benefits and also, effects but I’m glad to let you know the benefits outweigh the impact. Coconut milk has its effects if not taken in moderation. These effects can be;
- High blood pressure. It is no news, that coconut milk is high in calories, and saturated fats and intake of too much of it can increase the cholesterol level in the body, therefore, leading to high blood pressure
- Weight gain. So someone who is trying to lose weight should not consume too much of coconut milk. A cup of coconut milk contains about 70 or 60 calories.
- It may cause constipation and bowel disorders. Drinking a large amount of coconut milk can lead to constipation.
How to Make Homemade Coconut Milk
Besides getting your coconut milk at the mall or a convenience store, you can make your coconut milk within the comfort of your home. In fact, fresh homemade coconut milk glasses are the best because they have no additives, sweetener, and preservatives. All you need is a big brown coconut (remember it’s the coconut flesh that matters), a 1 liter of water, and a mesh or sieve.
Steps to Get This Done
- Grate or blend the coconut flesh.
- Soak it in hot water, not necessarily boiled water.
- Strain the mixture through the mesh.
Coconut milk can either be thin or thick depends on you. After straining the mixture for the first time, you will get thick coconut milk. This process is then repeated to get a thin mixture.
How To Use/Take Coconut Milk
Coconut milk can be taken alone by this. I mean, you can drink a cup of coconut milk, or you can as well add to your food as flavor. It can be added to your rice, coffee, custard, a dish of your choice, or even as flavors to your cakes. If you are willing to explore, you could look up beautiful recipes with coconut milk. It is best to store or preserve your coconut milk in a jar or bottle and refrigerate. Below is an exclusive recipe on how to make the traditional coconut rice with coconut milk;
How to Make Coconut Rice
Coconut rice is a delicious recipe made with creamy coconut milk. Coconut rice packs a lot of vitamins.
- 3 cups of Rice
- 2 cups of Coconut milk
- 1 tsp Crayfish
- 3 bell Green pepper (chopped)
- Chopped ginger
- Chopped garlic
- A cup of coconut oil
- Chopped onion
- Cut red pepper (Ata Rodo)
- Seasoning cube
- Chicken stock (chicken flavor/water)
- Blend your coconut flesh in a blender for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the content into a mesh and sieve. For more liquid, you could add a cup of warm water to it and sieve again.
- In a pot parboil your rice with salt for about 15 minutes, remove it from heat and rinse it with cold running water. Repeat this method till your rice cools then set it aside.
- In another pot, add your coconut oil to heat for 3 minutes, then add your chopped red pepper, ginger, garlic, and onion, in fact, add all your chopped ingredients. This is to intensify the flavor of the coconut rice.
- Then, pour your coconut milk into the pot and leave to boil for 5 minutes.
- Add your rice and stock chicken and cook for 20 minutes. The aim is to allow the rice to absorb the coconut milk until it dries out.
- When the rice is almost ready, add your crayfish to it and stir.
- Allow it to simmer for some minutes.
Your delicious coconut rice is ready to be consumed.