Most people have never heard of alkanet root or its very many health benefits. Interestingly, it is not only for cosmetic and beauty purposes as some people think, but also for maintaining good health. For instance, the root has several herbal functions that help in combating multiple diseases. The atsiri oil and tanin contained in the root are natural herbal treatments for certain diseases too.
Alkanet herb has a large and thick root, hairy green leaves, and thick stalks. The herb is also known as Hoary puccoon, Dyer’s bugloss, Lithospermum canescens, or Batschia canescens. For long, the herb has been referred to as henna and used as a dye for cloth. It has also been used to impart a red color to waxes, fats, and oils. Alkanet root, according to the World Health Organization, can be very competitive as it grows more sporadically than the native plants in any environment it is planted.
In this article, we would be talking about the health benefits of alkanet root.
Improves Heart Health
Over the years, alkanet root has proven very helpful in maintaining a healthy heart. The extract from the soaked alkanet root, when taken, can help take out toxins from the body and enhance the heart’s ability to absorb blood.
Rheumatism usually attacks the nerves and muscles, making them painful and sore. However, rheumatic diseases can be cures by consistently applying alkanet essential oil on affected area or routinely consuming the powder to alleviate the pain.
Alkanet root has anti-inflammatory properties that help in improving blood circulation, a lack of which causes headache. Most times, once there a healthy flow of blood around the body, the headache goes away. This is where alkanet root come in; it improves blood circulation.
Provides Anti-Sore Functions
For example, when a woman has dysmenorrhea, her stomach will feel very painful and sore. Thankfully, the anti-inflammatory effect of alkanet root can treat sores too.
Improves Sleep Patterns
Alkanet root essential oil can help treat the symptoms of depression and sleep disorders like insomnia. By using this essential oil before sleeping on the head and under the nose, you’d feel relax and calm in preparation for a good night’s sleep. Doing it frequently will make sleeping much easier.
Supports Healthy Hair
Do you want to increase your hair strength? Well, alkanet is natural hair color, it is very safe, and has no side effects. When the oil is extracted, it can be very useful in covering hair cuticles, preventing hair breakage, and reducing symptoms of baldness.
Maintains Healthy Skin
Alkanet possesses anti-bacterial and anti-viral that are amazing to protecting the essential organs of the body, particularly skin. As some people have come to know, applying alkanet root oil or consuming the root powder can help in maintaining the skin health and appearance slowing down aging and making the skin wrinkle-free.
Heals Skin Fungi
Alkanet root is amazingly beneficial for fighting and healing skin fungi. The root contains effective anti-fungi to particularly heal any skin-related diseases like skin fungi such as eczema, phlegm, and ringworm.
Alkanet root is beneficial to prevent the brittle nails and reducing the inflammation that occurs. Applying essential oil of alkanet root on your nail will prevent it from getting irritated, sore, and infected.
Herpes is an immunity and skin disorder which is caused by virus. Thus, to treat the disease, alkanet’s anti-virus effect would come in handy.
Alkanet has a natural cooling effect that helps to bring down fevers. Additionally, alkanet root can induce sweat which, in turn, hastens the healing process of fever.
Regulates Blood Pressure
To reduce the stress on your cardiovascular organs, alkanet is effective for reducing higher blood pressure, preventing heart attack to be, and lowering the risk of stroke.
Alkanet root can be helpful in protecting the skin from infections and inflammation. Due to its anti-inflammatory effect, its root is widely used to treat burn scars and sunburn.
Supports Weight Loss
You really do not necessarily need to go on a diet or consume stuff whose safety is not guaranteed just so you can have a slim and well-shaped body. You only need to take alkanet root powder routinely to safely reduce excessive weight from the body.
Alkanet’s Traditional Uses
- External treatment for bed sores, varicose veins, itching rashes, and ulcers.
- Internal treatment for cough, catarrh, gastric ulcers and diarrhea.
- Herbal tea made from the alkanet is used in treating prolonged fever, persistent cough, and even melancholy.
- Alkanet tea also acts as a “blood purifier” and helps in softening and soothing irritated skin.
- It is used as a topical treatment for all kinds of cuts, bruises and phlebitis.
- The herb is often used in preparing homeopathic remedies for alleviating stomach ulcers.
- Boiled alkanet root is used in treating abscesses, fractures, and rheumatism.
- Alkanet acts as an antiseptic for skin diseases such as scabies, eczema, and itching.
- Fresh alkanet leaves are used in treating sore throat.
Alkanet’s Culinary Uses
- Alkanet root is used to give color to varnishes, alcoholic tinctures, to vegetable oils, and to wines.
- Red dye obtained from alkanet roots is used as a food coloring.
- Alkanet is used as a vegetable.
- Alkanet root is used as colorant for rouge and lipstick
- The red dye gotten from the roots is used by pharmacists, in the production of perfumes and in staining wood or marble.
- The dye from the root is also used in thermometers and as litmus to test for acids and alkalines.
- The herb can also make wood appear like mahogany or rosewood.
- Pregnant or nursing mothers should avoid using the herb.
- Alkanet root may result in cirrhosis, acute liver failure, cirrhosis, heart failure, pulmonary hypertension, or pneumonitis.
- The root may lead to hepatic and lung toxicity due to its pyrrolizidine alkaloid properties.
- Root dye must not be consumed for any reason.
- It should only be used externally and not applied to broken skin.