Are Grapes Healthy for Pregnant Women?
Grapes come in various species and colors and are cultivated in various parts of the world such as Southern Europe, North and South America, Australia, and Africa. They are particularly rich in phytochemicals and antioxidants that prevent cancer, inflammation, and some other health conditions. They particularly improve heart health and are anti-diabetic. That`s not all, as they improve vision and increase bone strength. All these and many more are what pregnant women enjoy when they eat grapes. Let`s talk more about this.
10 Health Benefits of Grapes for Pregnant Women
Improve Heart Health
Grapes, in particular, are super-great at ensuring that the heart of pregnant women and their babies are in a healthy state. It`s got phenolic acids, flavonoids, and resveratrol that are potent enough to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. Its polyphenol content also has antioxidant properties that lower the levels of unhealthy cholesterol and prevent atherosclerosis, a severe cardiac condition. Grapes also contain resveratrol and proanthocyanidins that are effective at reducing the risk of ischemic heart disease, among other heart conditions. Grape polyphenols are also effective at lowering systolic blood pressure.
Reduce the Risk of Diabetes
Grapes have a glycemic index that makes them anti-diabetic. They also contain quercetin, resveratrol, and catechin that reduce blood sugar levels and combat oxidative stress. That`s not all, as its proanthocyanidin content prevents peripheral neuropathy, a severe diabetes complication. Pregnant women who eat grapes are sure to boost their motor nerve conduction velocity and nerve blood flow.
The juice from purple grapes is sure to boost cognition and enhance the moods of adults, while the juice of concord grapes improves brain health. Pregnant women can eat grapes along with other high-antioxidant foods like berries and walnuts to enhance their cognitive and motor function, along with their babies`. Resveratrol also improves the development of nervous tissue in the hippocampus. Grapes also boost the memory and mood of pregnant women, as well as develop the brains of the babies.
Pregnant women who consume grapes regularly are less likely to have cancer. This fruit`s chemopreventive qualities are sure to prevent breast cancer and some other types of cancer. They also contain bioactive compounds such as catechins, anthocyanins, resveratrol, and phenolic acids that prevent cancer.
Improve Eye Health
A number of people have problems with their eyesight as a result of oxidative stress and inflammation. Grapes contain polyphenols that are effective at improving eye health and reduce the risk of glaucoma and other eye defects. Its resveratrol content is also effective at treating age-related macular degeneration. This makes grapes an effective fruit at improving the eyesight of pregnant women and their unborn babies.
Pregnant women who consume grapes regularly enjoy a boost in immunity, along with their unborn babies. Concord grapes are particularly reliable for boosting immunity and increasing the circulation of gamma delta T cells that are required for boosting the body’s defense system.
Grapes are good for strengthening the bones of pregnant women and their unborn children. Their proanthocyanidin content is particularly effective at preventing and curing osteoarthritis. Expecting mums who eat grapes are also less vulnerable cartilage damage and other bone health issues.
Prevent Microbial Infections
Red grapes are rich in antimicrobial properties and vitamin C that promotes immune function and support cellular functions and fight pathogens. Grapes also contain resveratrol content that has antiviral and cytotoxic properties. These qualities are essential for the health of mother and child, as they`re sure of protecting them from viral infections.
Improves Skin Health
Grapes contain resveratrol that combats oxidative stress, and as a result, improves skin health. Resveratrol also protects the skin from UV-induced skin damage, as well as prevents skin cancer and skin inflammation. Pregnant women who consume grapes are less vulnerable to acne and enjoy great skin health.
4 Side Effects of Grapes for Pregnant Women
High Blood Sugar Levels
Eating too many grapes may put pregnant women at risk of high blood sugar, which may affect them and their babies.
Pregnant women who consume grapes in excess amounts are at risk of the harm of consuming resveratrol which can be toxic when consumed in high amounts. Pregnant women with imbalanced hormones may be terribly affected by high amounts of resveratrol. They may also suffer resveratrol poisoning that may cause pregnancy complications.
Risk of Diarrhea
Black and red grapes could be difficult to digest because they have thick skins. This difficulty in digesting them may cause diarrhea for pregnant women with weak digestive systems.
Troubles with Acidity
Raw and sour grapes are acidic, and eating too many of them could cause heartburn, nausea, headache, and vomiting. Pregnant women who eat too many grapes may suffer gastrointestinal issues from its acidity.
Some Interesting Grape Facts
- Grapes are botanically classified as berries.
- Grapes come in various colors such as white, blue, green, red, black, and purple.
- There are about 60 species and 8,000 varieties of grapes all over the world.
- European and American grapes are the most common types; they come in seedless and seeded varieties.
- While European grapes are available all year round, American grapes are only available in September and October.
- Grape develops on the vine and can reach a length of 15 meters. A vine can produce up to 40 clusters of grape.
- Grape leaves are large, green, and partially lobed. They also have toothed edges.
- Grapevine produces small flowers that are arranged in clusters. These flowers have both male and female reproductive organs, called stamen and pistil respectively, that self-pollinate.
- Grapes berries are could be rounded, egg-shaped, or elongated.
- Grapes are low-calorie foods; they consist of about 80% of water.
- Grapes cure migraine, kidnеy disease, asthma, indigestion, and fatigue.
- Grapes help minimize the risk of heart attacks because they increase the levels of nitric acid in the blood which prevents blood clots.
- The sweet and sour taste of grapes enlightens your mood and makes you stress and depression free.
- Grapes contain low levels of sodium, chоlеstеrоl, and fat, and are rich in vitаmins C and K.
Some Pregnancy Facts
- A baby begins to urinate inside its mother`s womb after about four months.
- Because of water weight and other extra fluid, the feet of pregnant women swell.
- A baby has all of their fingerprints by 9-12 weeks in the womb.
- Nine in ten women experience a change in skin tone during pregnancy.
- Three out of four women develop a linea nigra during pregnancy. The linea nigra is a dark, vertical line that runs down the abdomen. It may or may not vanish after birth.
- Pregnant women have less oxygen in their blood, which is what makes them more forgetful.
- Humans are the only mammals who do not ingest their placenta after birth.
- The heart grows during pregnancy — It works harder and pumps more blood for that growing baby.
- Some pregnant women lactate in late pregnancy at the sound of someone else’s baby crying.
- Pregnant women have a heightened sense of smell to enable them to steer clear of foods they shouldn’t eat because of their growing baby.
Now that you Know…
Pregnant women are advised to eat grapes in moderate quantities. They can choose from different varieties as suits them. Just ensure that whatever choice you make is healthy for you.