What are Blackheads?
Blackheads are a type of acne. They are tiny dark bumps that usually sprout on the nose, chest, chin, back, and sometimes, the shoulders. They are usually caused by clogged hair follicles in the dermis of the skin. For every strand of hair on your body, there is a hair follicle. When the skin gets rid of skin cells, these cells accumulate in the follicle, forming a comedone. This comedone is a bump that becomes a blackhead if the skin around it is left open and air finds its way into it. However, if the skin around a comedone is closed up, then a whitehead is formed. Dealing with blackheads and prevent them entirely is not particularly easy. But you could do with some simple home remedies, and treatments recommended by a dermatologist, as well as a few tips.
How to Get Rid of Blackheads on the Nose
Exfoliate Twice a Week
Exfoliation may be considered harsh for the skin, however, it could be helpful in the removal of blackheads. To get rid of blackheads, using gentle exfoliants that contain Alpha and Beta Hydroxy Acids (AHA and BHAs) is a great option to consider.
These acids are used due to their ability to remove dead skin cells from the hair follicles. You are advised to exfoliate with these acids twice a week if you have dry skin, and three times a week if your skin is oily. You should also moisturize after every exfoliating session. Exfoliation is an effective, yet dangerous method, so you should consult with a dermatologist before you commence treatment at all.
Use Blackhead Removal Strips
This is another excellent method of removing blackheads. Usually, the debris and dirt in the pores stick to the removal strips, which you then use to take them out.
To effectively carry out the removal of blackhead using strips, do these:
- Dampen your nose, take a blackhead removal strip, and stick it on your slightly wet nose.
- Ensure that it covers most of the blackheads.
- Allow it to dry for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pull the strip off gently, starting from the corner.
- One removal session every week is ideal to obtain the best results without side effects.
- You can use blackhead removal strips once a week.
Caution: If you have sensitive skin, you should avoid blackhead removal strips.
Wash your Face Daily
This method is recommended due to its ability to keep dirt from accumulating in your hair follicles. To effectively get rid of blackheads using this method, simply rinse your face every morning to remove accumulated dirt and bacteria.
However, it is important that you don`t cleanse your face too much, so as not to wash away natural skin oils. Also, after exercising, wash your face to prevent sweat accumulation in the pores. Use a gentle face cleanser twice a day during cleansing.
Before delving into it, it is important to mention that this method is not suitable for pregnant women. Having established that, topical retinoids are skin products — creams and gels — that consist of medicinal derivatives of retinol (vitamin A), and they act by inhibiting the maturation of skin cells, thereby delaying aging of the skin. These retinoids are used to treat microcomedones with obvious changes between five weeks to six months after the commencement of treatment. The most potent topical retinoids are tretinoin, isotretinoin, and adapalene. Topical retinoids are available for purchase at local pharmacy stores.
Using a Charcoal Mask
The use of a charcoal mask is due to activated charcoal’s ability to absorb loose dirt clogging the pores, thereby making it easy to remove blackheads. However, there is no available medical evidence that suggests that activated charcoal has any dermatological benefits.
To get rid of blackheads using this method, you will need:
- 1/2 teaspoon of activated charcoal
- 1 tablespoon of unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons of water
To effectively carry out the removal of blackhead using charcoal masks, do these:
- Mix the gelatin water and heat. Heating should be between 10 and 15 seconds.
- Add the activated charcoal into the heated mixture and mix again.
- Apply the resultant paste onto your nose and leave to dry.
- Peel off the charcoal mask from your nose and rinse.
You should not carry out this procedure more than twice every week.
Clay masks have been used for treating skin problems for ages, due to their anti-bacterial properties. Clay masks help to remove dirt from clogged pores and cleanse the skin surface by absorbing skin impurities. This helps reduce the appearance of blackheads. You could purchase clay masks for blackheads online or at beauty or drug stores. If you choose clay masks, ensure you use it only once a week. Exceeding this frequency could be dangerous for your skin.
Egg White Mask
Egg white, when hardened on the skin, sticks to the pores and takes out the dirt clogging them.
Using an egg white mask will require the following:
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- Tissue rolls
To effectively carry out the removal of blackhead using egg white masks, do these:
- Take out the egg yolk and beat the egg white into a bowl.
- Add two teaspoons of lemon juice
- Apply this mixture to your nose, focusing on the blackheads.
- Allow to dry, then carefully place the tissue over the mixture.
- Apply the mixture on the tissue and allow it to dry.
- If you have a lot of blackheads, you could add a third layer.
- After they have dried, take off all the layers along with the blackheads.
- Rinse your face properly.
You may carry out this procedure once a week.
Lemon and Honey
This combination is another one that has continuously been used for centuries in treating various skin problems. Lemon contains vitamin C which tightens the pores, while honey acts as an anti-bacterial agent that fights bacteria that cause acne and blackhead.
If you have dry or sensitive skin, you should avoid this treatment regimen.
To use the lemon and honey mixture, you will need:
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon of honey
Follow these steps to achieve the best results using honey and lemon:
- Squeeze out all the juice from a lemon and add honey.
- Apply this mixture to your nose.
- Leave the mixture on for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse off with warm water.
Apply this mixture 2 to 3 times a week for best results.
Gelatin and Milk Mask
Gelatin is an essential bioadhesive for the closing of skin wounds. Milk, when added to gelatin, helps to balance the skin’s pH to control excessive natural skin oil production.
To carry out this procedure, you will need:
- 1 tablespoon of gelatin
- 2 tablespoons of milk
To effectively carry out removal of blackhead using this solution, do these:
- Mix gelatin with milk and heat in a microwave for 10 to 15 seconds. Be sure not to boil the mixture.
- Apply the mixture to your nose.
- Allow it to dry for not more than 40 minutes.
- Pull out the mask gently.
- Do this 2 to 3 times a week for best results.
Baking Soda and Lemon
Baking soda is used as an exfoliant to unclog the pores that cause blackheads. Lemon juice, when added to baking soda, helps in tightening the skin pores to prevent blackhead formation. Please note that it is important to do a patch test before applying baking soda to your face. This is because baking soda could irritate your skin is you use it excessively.
For best results, you will need:
- Baking soda (1 tablespoon)
- Lemon juice (1/4 – 1/2 tablespoon)
- Mix the baking soda with lemon juice.
- Apply this paste to your nose and leave it to dry.
- Rinse your face thoroughly.
- Do this once a week.