These days, rose water or Gulab Jal is popular as a staple in most skin care regimes. In fact, rose water provides the skin with a wide range of amazing benefits, which include moisturizing the skin, tackling puffiness, toning the skin, preventing acne breakouts, and soothing skin irritations. This skin care ingredient is rich in anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Wondering how rose water is prepared? Well, it is produced by steeping rose petals in water. However, a by-product of the process of extracting rose oil can also be used instead of rose water.
Benefits of Rose Water
There are a host of impressive benefits that rose water offers. In fact, the water is a well-known ingredient in dishes and even rituals connected with religion. Also, rose water is incredibly beneficial for skin and for the face.
Rose Water for Skin
Let’s take a look at what rose water can do for your skin.
Moisturizes the Skin
One of the most common misconceptions regarding the use of skin toners is that they can dry out your skin. This is not true—you can use natural and mild ingredients such as rose water for your skin.
Rose water helps to refresh your skin by opening up your pores and providing them with some hydration. This is necessary if you desire to improve the texture and appearance of your skin. The water moisturizes and hydrates the skin when you spray the bottled rose water on your skin.
Due to the cooling effect of rose water, it is able to treat and significantly soothe sunburns. For those with uncomfortable burns on the face, rose water can help soothe the skin while speeding up the healing process.
Stabilizes the Skin’s pH Balance
The normal pH of the skin should be mildly acidic. When we use harsh facial cleansers, soaps, and skin products that compromise this balance, it can result in excessive growth of bacteria and acne breakouts. Luckily, rose water can help balance out the skin’s pH levels and bring it back to its normal state.
Good for Sensitive Skin
Owing to how mild rose water is, it is a perfect fit for sensitive skin. With its anti-inflammatory abilities, the water can soothe skin redness and irritation.
Refreshes the Skin
Spraying rose water on your skin is one of the best ways to refresh your skin. Apart from keeping your skin hydrated, the water also functions as a face mist to ensure that your skin feels fresh for a long time.
Prevents Acne Breakouts
Rose water can help you get rid of excess oils from your face. Due to its ability to balance out the skin’s pH, rose water can prevent the growth of the bacteria that cause acne. This not only reduces acne, but it also prevents potential acne breakouts.
Soothes Skin Irritations
People who suffer from skin conditions like psoriasis or eczema may find rose water very helpful. The skin care ingredient contains anti-inflammatory properties that help soothe irritation caused by such skin conditions.
Tones the Skin
When your skin is not crucially cared for by being cleansed, moisturized, and toned regularly, it can lead to skin irritation. In fact, toning alone helps eliminate oils and dirt while also hydrating your skin. With its pH-balancing ability, rose water is an amazing toner that removes oils and residual dirt from your skin, making skin treatments more effective.
Rose water possesses anti-inflammatory and soothing effects that refresh your skin and treat puffiness, particularly under your eyes. To deal with puffiness in minutes, simply place cotton pads soaked with rose water over your eyes.
Prevents Premature Aging
The skin is susceptible to aging faster when exposed to environmental pollution, stress, harmful effects of UV rays of the sun, products made with harsh chemical, and an unhealthy lifestyle. The negative effect of these factors manifests in the production of free radicals that cause damage to the skin. Thankfully, rose water is also rich in antioxidants that help destroy free radicals and maintain skin health.
How to Use Rose Water for your Face and Hair
The most effective way to apply rose water is to use it at night when all residual dirt and oil on the face collected through the day can be eliminated.
If you are wondering how and when best to apply rose water for quick results, we’ve got some suggestions below:
- Rose water is effective as a facial cleanser on all skin types. Simply prepare a facial cleanser by mixing a few drops of glycerine with a tablespoon of rose water. After washing your face with a mild soap, you can apply this mixture to your face.
- You can also spritz rose water on your face. Indeed, you can also spray rose water on your face as a makeup setter. It is not only a makeup setting product; the mist from rose water will make your face glow. To do this, pour some rose water into an empty spray bottle and spray once on your face after you have completed your morning beauty regime. This will help keep your face refreshed and hydrated all day.
- Most teenagers and even some adults battle with persistent acne breakouts. Many have tried using several beauty products to alleviate this problem but haven’t recorded any significant positive result. Fortunately, rose water is exactly what your skin needs.
- Simply add a tablespoon of rose water to a tablespoon of lemon juice. People who have acne should allow this mixture on their skin for about 30 minutes before washing it off. Rose water helps to cleanse pores which, in turn, prevent excess oil and acne.
- If you have tired and puffy eyes, simply saturate a cotton pad in cold rose water and apply under the eyes. It helps reduce inflammation under the eyes and eliminate skin irritation.
- Rose water is a tried and tested makeup. In fact, you only need to add rose water to a few drops of coconut oil on a cotton pad to cleanse your face. This mixture is able to wipe off makeup and moisturize your skin at the same time.
- Like we mentioned earlier, toning the skin is crucial for any skin type. Simply saturate a cotton ball with cold rose water and apply directly on cleansed skin. Rose water’s slight astringent properties help tighten the pores and tone the skin.
- To get rid of tanning and achieve a fair skin, add 2 tablespoons of flour to lemon juice and mix it with rose water. You can apply this smooth paste for 15 minutes before washing it off.
- After shampooing your hair, rinse it off with rose water. The water is a deep hair conditioner that adds a healthy and radiant shine to your hair.
- Indulge yourself to get that dream skin. Simply mix rose water with almond oil to moisturize your body. You can go the extra mile by having yourself with a rose-scented bath. This is believed to be one of the best solutions to stress.
- People with dry hair will find rose water really helpful. You can mix equal parts of glycerin and rosewater to achieve a better result. Simply apply the mixture on your scalp with saturated cotton pads and massage for about15 minutes.