What Is Prune Juice?
Prune is the dried form of plum, however, not all plums get dried into prunes. Prune juice is a fruit juice made from prunes and packed with fiber, vitamins, minerals, and loads of other nutrients that enrich the body. The juice has loads of health benefits and particularly has some skin and hair benefits. Let`s see some of its benefits.
12 Health Benefits of Prune Juice
Balances Blood Sugar
Prune juice balances blood sugar because it contains soluble fiber. The juice decreases the rate at which food leaves the stomach, hence slows down the absorption of glucose. Also, its soluble fiber content increases insulin sensitivity, hence prevents diabetes.
The fiber and antioxidants in prune juice make it a reliable drink for treating cramps. The juice also contains antispasmodic properties that help reduce premenstrual symptoms.
Vitamin A deficiency causes macular degeneration, night blindness, and dry eyes. Prune juice is packed with vitamin A, hence it improves eyesight. It also contains carotene, a phytonutrient which improves eye health.
Maintains Cholesterol Balance
Prune juice contains insoluble fiber which serves as food for the healthy bacteria in the large intestine. The bacteria ferment the insoluble fiber, thereby producing butyric acid, acetic acid, and propionic acid. Propionic acid lowers the activity of an enzyme which produces cholesterol, thereby reducing the blood`s cholesterol levels.
Prune juice contains antioxidants that prevent cancer and other chronic illnesses. Prune juice actually contains more antioxidants than blueberries, amazingly. It also contains selenium, riboflavin, niacin, thiamine, and some other phytonutrients that make it anticancer drink. What`s more? Prune juice is bursting with plant phenols that protect body organs from oxidative stress.
Enhances Weight Loss
Prune juice is energy-giving, hence a suitable component in your weight loss diet. What`s more? Its soluble fiber content adds bulk to your diet, hence makes you feel satisfied, and helps you not to overeat.
Improves Heart Health
Prune juice is a common remedy for constipation, due to its insoluble fiber content which adds bulk to waste, making it easier for stool to leave the body. People who consume prune juice regularly rarely suffer constipation.
Enhances Bone Health
Prune juice contains essential minerals that are required for the repair and development of the bone structure. It contains copper, vitamin K, calcium, phosphorus, and zinc which are all required for bone density.
When there`s a strain due to constipation or hard bowel movements, there`ll be dilated blood vessels, which is how hemorrhoids come about. Prune juice is effective at treating hemorrhoids, just by drinking it regularly, and in moderate amounts.
Prune juice is packed with iron, making it a perfect drink for preventing and treating anemia.
Prune juice contains enough vitamin C to boost immune health. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant which prevents various diseases, hence keeping the body healthy. People who consume prune juice regularly are usually less vulnerable to illnesses.
5 Skin Benefits of Prune Juice
Combats Skin Problems
Acne and pimples are common skin problems. Prune juice is effective at combating these conditions. Its toxin-cleansing properties enable it clear pathogens out of the body.
Prevents Early Aging
The antioxidant content of prune juice reduces signs of aging and makes the skin beautiful.
Packed with Minerals
Prune juice is bursting with calcium, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, and some other minerals that help maintain a glowing skin.
Packed with Vitamins
Prune juice is rich in vitamins A and C. People who consume prune juice regularly don`t have to rely on vitamin supplements to have beautiful skins.
Moisturizes the Skin
Not only does prune juice have some moisturizing effects on the skin, but you can also treat excessively oily and dry skins using a prune face mask. This mask works excellently at making the skin smooth, soft, and revitalized.
3 Hair benefits of Prune Juice
Improves Hair Health
Prune juice is rich in vitamins B and C which are essential for hair health. These vitamins strengthen hair follicles and prevent hair breakage and damage.
Natural Colouring Agent
Prune juice is a potent natural coloring agent which works effectively for the hair.
Promotes Hair Growth
Minerals nourish the hair and scalp. They enrich hair roots and promote hair growth, leaving the hair shiny and lustrous.
How to Make Prune Juice
- 1 cup dried prunes
- 5 cups of water
- 1 cup pear juice (optional)
- Take out the pits from the prunes.
- Boil 5 cups of water.
- Put the prunes in a heat-safe container, and add some of the hot water, till the prunes are submerged.
- Let the prunes soak overnight.
- Pour the prunes and water in a blender, and blend till it`s smooth.
- Use a sieve to get rid of the solid pieces,
- You may add some pear juice to sweeten your prune juice.
Note: This recipe makes a liter of prune juice.
How to Select and Store Prunes
- Buy prunes in transparent containers.
- Buy plumpy, bluish black prunes that are soft and mold-free.
- Buy tightly-sealed prunes. Loose sealings cause moisture to evaporate from prunes.
- Avoid prunes that have preservatives in them.
- Store dried prunes in a cool, dark place. You may also store them in a refrigerator for longer storage.
- Always seal prune containers tight after each use.
5 Side Effects of Prune Juice
Risk of Laxative Dependency
People who suffer constipation and drink prune juice often may get laxative dependent, hence develop complications as a result.
Prunes May Cause Bloating
Prune juice contains complex carbohydrates and sugar which don`t break down completely in the digestive tract, hence causing intestinal gas, farting, and bloating. Alpha-D-galactosidase helps to break down these complex carbohydrates, hence taking it before drinking the juice may be helpful, however, only do so with your doctor`s prescription.
Risk of Acrylamide
The acrylamide content in prune juice is quite high, making it unhealthy in cases of excessive consumption. It is safe to consume prune juice in moderation.
Risk of Dark Stools
Excessive consumption of prune juice may cause dark stools because of its iron content. It is safe to consume this juice in moderation.
Risk of Diarrhea
Prune juice is rich in fiber, hence excessive consumption may cause and worsen diarrhea. Consuming prune juice in moderation is healthy, so as to avoid diarrhea.
Some Prune Facts
- Organic prune juice with no added sugar is your healthy option.
- Smokers and people who eat French fries and potato chips are advised to drink little prune juice or abstain from it.
- Prune juice is scientifically called Prunus domestica, and it belongs to the family Rosaceae, where roses belong.
- There are over 1000 varieties of plum fruit that are dried and packaged as prunes.
- Asides being made into juice, prunes are cooked in dishes, eaten as desserts and snacks, and even used in alcohol beverages. It`s such a versatile fruit.
- The process of drying plums to make prunes began thousands of years ago in the Caspian Sea area in Europe.
- California is one of the best places to grow prunes because of its flourishing valleys with rich soils and long warm seasons.
- California supplies 40% of the world’s prunes.