What Is Bronchitis?
Bronchitis is the inflammation of the bronchial tubes (air passages) in the lungs. It is caused by bacteria, virus, or fungus. It begins with a common cold as a result of the weakness of the immune system. It can lead to pneumonia if it doesn`t get the required medical attention. There are home remedies to combat bronchitis. We`ll discuss some of them.
12 Home Remedies for Bronchitis
- 1-2 teaspoons goldenseal root
- 1 1/4 cups of water
- Add the goldenseal to the water and put it on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Strain and drink it warm.
People have used goldenseal for many centuries to treat infections. It possesses antibacterial properties that make it effective at treating respiratory conditions. You can have four cups of goldenseal daily.
Garlic and Honey
- A garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Chop the garlic finely and add it to the honey.
- Swallow this mixture without chewing it.
Garlic contains allicin which possesses antibiotic properties that cure respiratory disorders. Honey reduces swelling, soothes the air passages, and makes it much easier to swallow the mixture.
- A large bowl of boiling water
- A towel
- Some essential oil (optional)
- Cover your head with a towel.
- You may add a few drops of essential oil to the boiling water.
- Inhale the steam for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat this twice a day.
Steam loosens up mucus in the air passages, hence relieves symptoms of bronchitis such as wheezing and difficulty in breathing. The essential oil eases the loosening up of congestion.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- A glass of milk
- Add the turmeric to the milk and mix properly.
- Boil the milk and drink it while it`s still warm.
Turmeric possesses anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that are potent for treating respiratory system-related conditions. It also detoxifies the body and combats chest pain. You may drink this twice or thrice a day. This remedy is not safe for people who suffer obstructive jaundice, gallbladder stones or hyperacidity.
- Eucalyptus oil
- A handkerchief
- Put a few drops of eucalyptus oil on your handkerchief and sniff it often.
- The fragrance of this oil eliminates colds and its accompanying headaches.
Eucalyptus oil possesses germ-fighting properties that combat bacteria and viruses. Applying this treatment daily clears blocked airways.
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- A cup of boiling water
- A dash of honey (optional)
- Add the thyme to the boiling water and steep for about five minutes.
- You may add a dash of honey for flavor.
- Strain and drink while it`s warm.
Thyme is effective at treating infections caused by bacteria and fungi, hence its effectiveness here. Drinking this remedy thrice a day will help you a whole lot.
- 2 organic onions
- A clean towel
- Some water
- Chop the onions and cook lightly in some water.
- Strain the water and put the onions in the center of the towel.
- Wrap it up to form a poultice.
- Place it on the chest for 10-12 minutes.
Onion is an expectorant, hence it dissolves the mucus and phlegm that have built up in the bronchial tubes. You may apply this remedy twice a day.
- 2 teaspoons dried echinacea leaves
- A cup of boiling water
- Add the echinacea leaves to the boiling water and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain out the leaves and drink the liquid.
- Drink two to three cups in a day for a few days.
This herb aids the immune system to respond against respiratory tract infections. Its saponins content helps to loosen phlegm, while its mucilage content soothes the inflamed air passages.
- 1-2 teaspoon(s) dried mullein flowers
- A cup of boiling water
- 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
Steep the mullein in the boiling water for 10-15 minutes.
Strain it and add some honey for flavor if you desire.
Drink it while it`s warm.
Mullein is popular for its ability to treat respiratory problems, owing to its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Drink two to three cups a day for a few days.
- 4 drops lavender oil
- 4 drops thyme oil
- 4 drops cinnamon bark oil
- 2-3 teaspoons olive or jojoba oil
- Mix the oils properly and slightly warm up the mixture.
- Massage the blend of oils on your chest and back for some minutes, and just leave it there overnight.
This potency of the oils in this remedy makes it super effective. Lavender oil, for instance, soothes the mind and body, making you fall asleep, and it contains antibacterial and antifungal properties that bring about its healing effects, while thyme oil is also antibacterial and antifungal. Cinnamon bark oil contains cinnamon aldehyde which has some antifungal properties, hence treats respiratory tract infections. The combination of these essential oils has a great effect on respiratory health. You may apply this treatment every night before going to bed.
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves powder
- A cup of hot water
- Put all the herbs in the hot water and mix properly.
- Drink the mixture.
Ginger possesses antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that reduce the swelling in the bronchial tubes and speeds up healing. Cloves contain antioxidants and some antimicrobial properties that make it effective at treating bronchitis. Cinnamon has some antifungal properties, hence it treats respiratory tract infections. You may drink this mixture daily until you achieve results.
- 5-10 drops oregano oil
- 4 oz. water
- Add the oregano oil to the water and mix well.
- Drink the mix.
Oregano is antibiotic, hence combats bronchitis. It is also antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory, which makes it potent at reducing chest congestion. You may drink this remedy twice a day.
How to Prevent Bronchitis
These are some simple tips that can help you prevent bronchitis. It is much easier and affordable to prevent it, than finding a cure.
- Drink at least eight glasses of water daily.
- Avoid actively smoking or second-hand smoking.
- Rinse your hands before meals.
- Use humidifiers during the dry weather.
- Use face masks to avoid air pollutants.
Symptoms of Bronchitis
If you experience any of these symptoms, you should see a doctor. Note, however, that they are not always necessarily symptoms of bronchitis, so self-medicating is discouraged.
- persistent cough with mucus expulsion
- chest discomfort
- shortness of breath
- low fever
Some Lung Facts
- The left and right lungs have some differences. The former is lighter and has two lobes, while the latter has three lobes.
- The lungs are protected by the rib cage in the chest.
- The lungs are connected to the spinal cord and the chest bone.
- The lungs expand when you inhale because the diaphragm squeezes.
- Human lungs inhale and exhale about 2,100 to 2,400 gallons (8,000 to 9,000 liters) of air daily.
- The lungs are the only organ where the blood picks up oxygen.
- Breathing difficulty may occur as a result of a diaphragm malfunction.
- The lungs have taste receptors, and whenever these taste receptors encounter a bitter taste, they help the airways to relax.
- Regular physical exercise builds lung capacity.
- Breathing slows down at night while you rest.
- One can survive on one lung, however, their ability to perform certain physical activities will be affected.
Now That You Know…
Bronchitis can be such a disturbing condition. With the prevention tips you have, you can be sure that bronchitis is not a thing to worry about; however, if you have it already, as confirmed by a doctor, the home remedies can be quite helpful.